Saturday 8 February 2014

Veteran Film Maker Eddie Ugbomah Retires From Movies

At 73, with 50 years of it being spent in the entertainment industry, ace-film maker, Chief Eddie Ugbomah (OON) does not need to blow his trumpet as one of  Nigeria's living legends.

Having began his film career in an American university in the late 50s, produced and directed some controversial films and documentaries about Nigeria and also presided over the Nigerian Film Corporation, Ugbomah has seen it all.

Yet, as the song writer articulated, a prophet is not honoured in his home town. The  old man seems to be calling on his 'big friends' and well-wishers to rise in celebration of his life and achievements while he's still full of life.

As a matter of fact, he has set aside the month of July  for a double celebration of his 50 years in the entertainment industry as well as his 73rd  birthday anniversary.

The five days event, which holds in Lagos and Abuja, respectively will also witness the public presentation of the legend's autobiography, a musical concert and the world premiere of his very last film, tentatively titled, "Onyenusi: The Second Generation."

Also, there will be a workshop/seminar focusing on the film industry. The celebration will climax with the unveiling of Eddie Ugbomah's  foundation.

In a recent interview with Past Perfect, Ugbomah said, ahead of the historic event that  he has set up a committee of friends  which is chaired by the re-elected president of Association of Movie Producers, AMP, Mr. Zik Zulu Okafor.
The committee, according to him, has among other things, the mandate to organise, source for fund and coordinate the event.
Specifically, Ugbomah disclosed that he has sent out letters to three governors who are his friends, namely Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan of Delta State, Raji Fashola of Lagos State and Adams Oshiomole  of Edo State, soliciting their support  to make  the epoch-making event a success.

He was also optimistic that the Minister of Culture, Tourism and National Orientation, High Chief Edem Duke will throw his weight behind the celebration.   "I'm not suffering from neither ulcer nor kidney failure or any other deadly disease. But I want to be celebrated alive. I am demanding and requesting that my friends should celebrate me while I am still alive."

According to him, "I am announcing the celebration of my 50 years in the entertainment world as well as the marking of 73rd birthday anniversary in July. The event will also witness the launch of my autobiography and a musical concert tagged "Niger Delta stars and their friends."

While revealing that he has completed the shooting of his very last film, "Onyenusi: The  Second Generation", which centres on the predicaments of the Nigerian youths, Ugbomah, however, announced his plans to quit film making immediately after the celebration, saying he wants to concentrate more on his Academy and producing of documentaries.

"I want to concentrate on producing documentaries. Also, I want to find a way of moving the music Makers Hall of Fame and Film Makers Hall of Fame to Abuja. We are currently negotiating to acquire a parcel of land to build a film village there.

It is a very big things for me this year. I am calling on my three  friends, Governors of Delta State, Lagos and Edo State to help celebrate  me while I am still alive. I want to be celebrated now that I'm still alive and not when I'm dead and  gone," said the movie legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment