Wednesday, 19 February 2014

NTA Staff Dies In Mysterious Fire In Yola

Until his death, Zubairu was the NTA correspondent covering the State House of Assembly.

Family sources revealed that the fire which led to the death of the couple started at about 1am when electricity was restored after the couple had gone to bed.

The source said the incident may not be unconnected with power surge when electricity was restored to the area around 12:30am.

"The couple had gone to sleep when electricity was restored to the area. The smoke that was billowing from the house attracted sympathisers who trooped to give a helping hand but unfortunately, Zubairu was already asphyxiated by the smoke and had collapsed.

"But the wife who had a chance of escaping when the sympathisers broke the window said she would not come out until the husband is rescued and within the twinkle of an eye, the fire consumed the whole house making it impossible for further rescue attempts," the source narrated.

The General Manager of NTA Yola, Mallam Adamu Yusuf Tafawa Balewa who expressed shock over the incident, urged family and colleagues of the deceased to take the death in good faith saying "we cannot question God."

Chairman of the Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ), Adamawa State Council, Mallam Salisu Mohammad, in a condolence message, extolled the virtues of the late Zubairu saying he was God fearing, friendly and hard working.

He used the opportunity to remind journalists of the NUJ insurance scheme and urged them to key into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment